Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon followed and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers arrived for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Town was included in 1890. As the township grew, so performed the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which happens to be the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the families after multiple many years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing enough time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and creature care. Immediately after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the battle ended individuals were able to get their lives again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in Saint Joe effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to keep together more than ever. Through a federal give, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph got a society of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and goes on to do so.